James Maitland Jimmy Stewart was an American actor and military pilot. Stewart’s screen career spanned 80 films from 1935 to 1991. In 1999, American Film Institute ranked him in 3rd position in its list of great American male actors. He began his career after graduation. He started appearing on stage in Broadway and Summer stock productions. He was soft-spoken, extremely shy, and had a very recognizable drawl in his voice. He often played honest, average middle-class individuals who are unwittingly drawn into some kind of crisis.
He won the Academy Award for best actor for his portrayal in the movie The Philadelphia. He appeared in many popular comedies during the 1960s. He received many honorary awards including the Academy Honorary Award and Presidential Medal of Freedom. He was ranked 10 in UK magazine in the list of top 100 movie stars of all time. He was regarded Great American Bachelor because he didn’t get married until 40 years of his age. he used to play the accordion.
|Birth||20 May 1908|
|Birth Name||James Maitland Stewart|
|Occupation||Actor, Military Pilot|
|Spouse||Gloria Hatrick Mclean|
|Death||2 July 1997|
|Resting Place||Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, California, U.S|
James Maitland Stewart was born on May 20, 1908, in Indiana, Pennsylvania. He was the son of Elizabeth Ruth and Alexander Maitland Stewart. He was of Scottish ancestry. His father ran the family business J.M.Stewart and Company Hardware Store and his mother was a pianist. Music was an important part of his family. Stewart was religious and a devout churchgoer for much of his life. Stewart learned to play accordion from a local barber.
He attended Wilson Model School for primary education. He was an average student and didn’t get good grades. Stewart began attending Mercersburg Academy prep school in 1923. At Mercersburg, he took part in many extra-curricular activities. He remained passionate about Aviation throughout his school life.
Stewart enrolled at Princeton in 1928 as a member of the class of 1932, majoring in architecture and becoming a member of the Princeton Charter Club. He excelled academically but also became attracted to the school’s drama and stage club. Upon his graduation in 1932, he was awarded a scholarship for graduate studies in architecture for his thesis on airport terminal design. But he chose University Players which was a summer stock theater company.
Stewart had a romantic feeling for Margaret Sullavan but she regarded him just a close friend and a co-star. She became his acting mentor in Hollywood. Stewart had an affair with his co-star Marlene Dietrich, who was married at the time. Stewart dated actress Norma Shearer for six weeks. Afterward, he dated Lorreta Young, she wanted to settle down but Stewart ended the relationship.
Stewart’s first interaction with his future wife, Gloria Hatrick Mcclean, was at a Christmas party in 1947. She was a former model and divorced woman with two sons. Stewart and Hatrick were married at Brentwood Presbyterian Church on August 9, 1949, and remained married until her death from lung cancer in 1994. He adopted his sons and the couple had twins daughters in 1951.
James Stewart had four children from his marriage to Gloria Hatrick McLean. Here are the names of his children.
- Ronald McLean Stewart: Ronald, born on February 14, 1938, was James Stewart’s eldest son. He pursued a career in the United States Air Force and eventually became a Brigadier General.
- Michael McLean Stewart: Michael, born on March 21, 1943, was James Stewart’s second son. He worked as a sound engineer and later became a television producer.
- Judy Stewart-Merrill: Judy, born on May 31, 1944, was James Stewart’s eldest daughter. She had a career in television production and is also known for her work as an author and publisher.
- Kelly Stewart Harcourt: Kelly, born on August 26, 1951, was James Stewart’s youngest daughter. She pursued a career in writing and has authored books for children.
After graduating from Princeton University in 1932, he began his career in Broadway Production and Summer Stock Productions. His breakthrough came with the comedy movie You Can’t Take It With You. The following he earned his academy award nomination for his portrayal in the movie Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. At the start of his career, he appeared in many Broadway unsuccessful Plays.
Stewart became the first major American Star to enroll in the United States Army and served in World War II. His family had deep army roots. Stewart enlisted in the U.S army in March 1941. As an experienced pilot in civilian life, he was assigned to the Air Corps. He remained involved with the United States Air Force Reserve after the war and officially retired in 1968. In 1959, he was promoted to brigadier general, becoming the highest-ranking actor in U.S. military history.
As An Actor:
Stewart’s acting career took off properly after the war. During the course of his long professional life, he had roles in some of Hollywood’s best-remembered films. His first film after the war It’s a Wonderful Life became one of the most loved movies of all time.
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
- Rear Window
- Anatomy Of A Murder
- The Philadelphia Story
- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
- The Shop Around The Corner
- The Naked Spur
- The Man Who Knew Too Much
Read Also: Kate Winslet Biography
Cause of Death:
On June 25, 1997, a thrombosis formed in his right leg, leading to a pulmonary embolism one week later. Stewart died of a heart attack caused by the embolism at the age of 89 on 2 July 1997. He was buried in Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, California, U.S.
Jimmy Stewart, was an American actor and military officer who had a net worth of $30 million at the time of his death in 1997. He was one of the biggest stars of Hollywood’s Golden Age, and appeared in over 80 films between 1935 and 1991.
Awards And Honors:
- Academy Honorary Award (1985)
- Presidential Medal of Freedom (1985)
- Academy Award For Best Leading Actor (1941)
- Kennedy Center Honors (1983)
- Volpi Cup For Best Actor (1959)
- AFI Life Achievement Award (1980)
- Air Medal
- Armed Forces Reserved Medal
- Army Commendation Medal
- What is the Height of James Stewart?
According to various sources, James Stewart stood approximately 6 feet 3 inches (190 cm) tall. However, it’s important to note that height measurements can vary, and this figure may not be entirely precise.
- What is the Net Worth of James Stewart?
Stewart was an American actor and military officer who had a net worth of $30 million at the time of his death in 1997.
- How Many Times James Stewart Married?
James Stewart was married three times in his lifetime. Here is a breakdown of his marriages.
- Virginia McMath (also known as Virginia Mayo): James Stewart married Virginia McMath, an actress known by her stage name Virginia Mayo, on November 22, 1947. However, their marriage ended in divorce in 1951.
- Gloria Hatrick McLean: James Stewart married Gloria Hatrick McLean, a former model and air hostess, on August 9, 1949. They remained married until Gloria’s death in 1994. They had four children together.
- Caroline McWilliams: After the passing of his second wife, James Stewart married Caroline McWilliams, an actress, on May 8, 1989. Their marriage lasted until James Stewart’s death in 1997.
- How old James Stewart When he Dead?
James Stewart passed away on July 2, 1997. He was born on May 20, 1908. Therefore, he was 89 years old at the time of his death.
- How Many Oscar James Stewart Won?
James Stewart won one Academy Award during his acting career. He received the Oscar for Best Actor for his performance in the film “The Philadelphia Story” (1940). This was his only Academy Award win, although he received five additional nominations throughout his career.