Ingrid Bergman was a Swedish Actress who appeared in many American, and European films, Television movies, and Plays. Her career spanned over five decades. She is regarded as the most influential figure in history. She was the greatest Hollywood leading actress. In 1999, The American Film Institute recognized Bergman as the fourth greatest female legend of Classic Hollywood Cinema.
Bergman started her acting career in Swedish and German films. Her famous role was in Casablanca as Ilsa Lund. During the production of this movie, she was in her mid-twenties, specifically 26 years old. She was praised for her beauty by the viewers. She had a scandal of pregnancy prior to marriage in the US. She had to move to Europe due to this scandal. She portrayed the role of Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir in the Television series A Woman Called Golda in her last movie.
Ingrid Bergman’s height of 5 feet 9 inches (175 cm) emphasized her statuesque presence, making her a commanding figure in the film industry. Her remarkable height added to her allure and made her stand out among her peers
|Birth||29 August 1915|
|Birth name||Ingrid Bergman|
|Years Active||1932- 1982|
|Spouses||Petter Lindstrom,Roberto Rossellini,Lars Schmidt|
|Death||29 August 1982|
|Resting place||Norra Begravningsplatsen, Stockholm|
Ingrid Bergman was born on August 29, 1915, to a Swedish father, Justus Samuel Bergman and his wife Frieda Henriette Auguste Louise Bergman. She was named after Princess Ingrid of Sweden. She was raised in Sweden but she often spent her vacations in Germany and she was fluent in German too.
When she was two and a half years old, her mother died. Her father was a photographer he loved to document his daughter’s birthday. Bergman enjoyed dancing, dressing up, and acting in front of her father. Her father died of stomach cancer when she was only 14. Losing her parents at a very young age was a trauma for Bergman. She was then raised by her maternal aunt.
Ingrid Bergman received a formal education at a young age, attending a girls’ school Palmgrenska Samskolan in Stockholm, Sweden. She studied acting at the Royal Dramatic Theatre School in Stockholm. After graduating, she began her acting career in Sweden, working primarily in the theater.
At the age of 21, Bergman married a dentist, Prett Aron Lindstrom on 10 July 1937. He later became a neurosurgeon. The couple had one daughter. Bergman had an affair with the Italian director Roberto Rossellini. They both had a son before marriage. She married Roberto on 24 May 1950. She gave birth to a twins daughter on 18 June 1952. She experienced various problems during her marital life and the couple got divorced in 1957.
After one year of her second divorce, she married an entrepreneur, Lars Schmidt who belonged to a Swedish shipping family. She had three spouses throughout her life. The couple separated in 1975 after two decades of their marriage. She was the mother of four children.
She had three children.
- Pia Lindström: Pia Lindström is Ingrid Bergman’s first child. She was born on September 20, 1938, in Stockholm, Sweden. Pia followed in her mother’s footsteps and became an actress and television journalist. She worked as a news anchor and correspondent for various networks, including WNBC-TV in New York City.
- Roberto Rossellini: Roberto Rossellini, born on February 2, 1950, in Rome, Italy, is Bergman’s son from her marriage to Italian film director Roberto Rossellini. Like his parents, Roberto pursued a career in the film industry and worked as a film producer and director.
- Isabella Rossellini: Isabella Rossellini is Bergman’s second child from her marriage to Roberto Rossellini. She was born on June 18, 1952, in Rome, Italy. Isabella became an internationally acclaimed actress and model, known for her roles in films such as “Blue Velvet” and “Death Becomes Her.” She has also worked as a philanthropist and a passionate advocate for animal rights
- Ingrid Rossellini: Ingrid Rossellini is Bergman’s fourth child and her twin sister of Isabella Rossellini. She was born on June 18, 1952, in Rome, Italy, along with Isabella. Ingrid has led a relatively private life and has chosen not to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.
She wanted to become an actress at the beginning. Bergman can speak Swedish, German, English, Italian, and French. She acted in each of these languages. Bergman first film experience was as an extra in Walking On The Holy Ground.
As An Actress:
Bergman made her first film debut in the Swedish film Munkbrogreven in 1935. In 1939 she was offered a role in Hollywood in the movie Intermezzo. This was the film that give her a breakthrough in her career. She portrayed the role of a young piano accompanist. She became a star in Hollywood after the success of this movie. She also starred in June Night, Adam Had Four Sons, etc.
Ingrid Bergman’s Role in Casablanca:
In the film “Casablanca,” Ingrid Bergman portrayed the character of Ilsa Lund. Ilsa is the romantic interest of the main protagonist, Rick Blaine, played by Humphrey Bogart. She is a beautiful and sophisticated woman who has a complicated history with Rick.
In the storyline, Ilsa and Rick had a passionate love affair in Paris before the war, but circumstances led them to separate. When they unexpectedly meet again in Casablanca, where Rick owns a nightclub, their past feelings are rekindled. However, Ilsa is now married to Victor Laszlo, a renowned resistance leader trying to escape from the Nazis. This creates a moral dilemma for Rick, as he must decide between his feelings for Ilsa and doing what is right by helping Victor.
Ingrid Bergman’s portrayal of Ilsa Lund is often praised for its emotional depth and chemistry with Humphrey Bogart. Her performance in “Casablanca” contributed to the film’s enduring popularity and made the character of Ilsa one of the most iconic female roles in cinematic history.
List of Ingrid Bergman’s Famous Movies:
- Autumn Sonata
- Murder On The Orient Express
- Joan Of Arc
- Cactus Flower
- For Whom The Bell Tolls
- The Bells Of St.Mary’s
- Intermezzo: A Love Story
- Saratoga Trunk
Also Read: Gregory Peck Biography
Awards And Honors:
- Academy Awards for Best Actress In Leading Role (1957, 1945)
- Academy Awards for Best Actress In Supporting Role (1975)
- Honorary Cesar (1976)
- Primetime Emmy Award For Outstanding Leading Actress in Movie (1982)
- Volpi Cup For Best Actress (1952)
- BAFTA Award for Best Actress in Supporting Role (1975)
- David di Donatello for Best Foreign Actress (1979, 1957)
- Tony Award For Best Performance by An Actress In Leading Role (1947)
- National Board Of Review Award For Best Actress (1978, 1958)
Cause of Death:
She noticed a lump on her left breast when she was working at The Constant Wife in London. She had undergone her first surgery on 15 June 1974. While working in Autumn Sonata she discovered another lump on her breast. She moved to London for her second surgery. Cancer has spread through her spine. Her lungs collapsed and she died on 29 August at the age of 67.
Ingrid Bergman’s Net worth:
Certainly! Ingrid Bergman, renowned as one of the most esteemed and influential actresses of the 20th century, amassed an estimated net worth of approximately $20 million at the time of her passing in 1982. Her impressive financial standing was a testament to her remarkable talent and enduring legacy in the world of film.
- How tall was Ingrid Bergman?
she had a height of approximately 5 feet 9 inches (175 cm). Her statuesque stature added to her commanding presence in many of her films.
- How Old Was Ingrid Bregman In Casablanca?
Ingrid Bergman was 27 years old when she starred in the film “Casablanca,” which was released in 1942.
- What Happened To Ingrid Bergman’s Son?
Roberto Rossellini Jr passed away at the age of 30 in 1977. He died in a motorcycle accident in Italy. The tragic loss of her son deeply affected Ingrid Bergman and her family.
- Is Ingrid Bergman Related to Ingmar Bergman?
No, Ingrid Bergman and Ingmar Bergman were not directly related. Despite sharing the same last name, they were not closely related or part of the same immediate family. Ingrid Bergman was a Swedish actress, while Ingmar Bergman was a Swedish film director and screenwriter. They did collaborate on the film “Autumn Sonata” (1978), which was directed by Ingmar Bergman and starred Ingrid Bergman, but they were not related by blood or marriage.
- What Type Of Cancer Did Ingrid Bergman Have?
Ingrid Bergman was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1973. At the time of her diagnosis, the disease had spread to her lymph nodes. She underwent a mastectomy and received radiation therapy as part of her treatment. Ingrid Bergman remained private about her battle with cancer and continued to work in the film industry while receiving treatment. She ultimately passed away on August 29, 1982, due to complications related to the disease.