Mary Louise Meryl Streep is one of the most celebrated and award-winning actresses in the history of Hollywood. She is often described as the ‘best actress of her generation. Meryl Streep has been nominated for Academy Awards twenty-one times and won three times.
Streep made her first stage debut in 1975. She gave an outstanding performance in her first Movie and was nominated for the Oscar the next year for her role in The Deer Hunter. She is the only actress which is known for her ability to master any accent. She was a perfectionist when preparing for her roles. She gained various awards and praise for her work in the late 1980s and 1990s. She is particularly known for her versatility. Meryl Streep has been the recipient of many honorary Awards.
|Birth||June 22, 1943.|
|Birth Name||Mary Louise Meryl Streep|
|Years Active||1975- present|
Mary Louise Meryl Streep was born on June 22, 1943, in Summit, New Jersey. She was the daughter of artist Mary Wilionkson Streep and her father Harry William Streep Jr. was a pharmaceutical executive. Her father was of German and Swiss descent while her mother belonged of English, German, and Irish ancestry.
Streep’s mother encouraged her and instilled confidence in her at a very young age. Her mother was her mentor and guided her throughout her career.
Meryl Streep attended Cedar Hill Elementary School and Oak Street School. In 1963, her family moved to Bernardsville, New Jersey. Here, she got admission to Bernards High School. Although she has appeared in many plays in school in her high school years. But she was uninterested in theatre until acting in the play Miss Julie at the Vassar College in 1969. After graduation, she was enrolled in the Yale School of Drama.
She also enrolled as a visiting student at Dartmouth College in 1970 and received an honorary Doctor of Arts Degree from the college in 1981.
Despite her stardom, she managed to maintain her normal life for many years. She was a close friend of the late actress Natasha Richardson. She attended her funeral with her husband. She is a fan of actor Leonardo Caprio. She loved to play the violin for many hours.
Meryl Streep lived with actor John Cazale in the 1970s. She took care of him after he was diagnosed with lung cancer. The actor died in March 1978. Streep was much tensed after her husband’s death. After 6 months after his death, she married sculptor, Don Gummer. They both have four children.
Meryl Streep is the proud parent of four children.
- Henry Wolfe Gummer: Born on November 13, 1979, Henry is Meryl Streep’s first child with her husband, Don Gummer. He is a musician and singer-songwriter.
- Mary Willa “Mamie” Gummer: Born on August 3, 1983, Mamie is Meryl Streep’s second child. She is also an actress, following in her mother’s footsteps, and has appeared in various films and television shows.
- Grace Jane Gummer: Born on May 9, 1986, Grace is Meryl Streep’s third child. Like her siblings, she is an actress and has worked in both film and television projects.
- Louisa Jacobson Gummer: Born on June 12, 1991, Louisa is Meryl Streep’s youngest child. She has also pursued a career in acting.
Streep made her Broadway debut in 1975 in Wells She has received widespread recognition in The Deer Hunter for her remarkable performance. The same year she appeared in the television miniseries in Holocaust, for which she received an Emmy Award.
As An Actress:
Over the next 10 years, Streep confirmed her reputation as one of the finest actresses in Hollywood. She has gained good reviews for her performances in Kramer vs. Kramer as the role of a mother who left her young son. She received Academy Award for her performance in Concentration Camp as a Polish Survivor.
- Sophie’s Choice
- The Deer Hunter
- Defending Your Life
- Kramer vs. Kramer
- The Bridges of Madison County.
- The Post
- The Devil Wears Prada
- Julie & Julia
- A Cry in The Dark
- Death Becomes Her
- Out Of Africa
- Mamma Mia! And Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
- Let Them All Talk
- The Hours
- Little Women
Meryl Streep, renowned for her illustrious film career, has also made notable appearances in a few TV shows throughout her remarkable journey. Here are three TV shows in which she has showcased her talent:
- “Holocaust” (1978): Streep delivered a captivating performance as Inga Helms-Weiss in this acclaimed miniseries that delves into the tragic events of the Holocaust.
- “Angels in America” (2003): In this HBO miniseries adaptation of Tony Kushner’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play, Streep mesmerized audiences with her portrayal of Hannah Pitt, a Mormon mother grappling with personal and societal challenges.
- “Web Therapy” (2012-2015): Streep made a memorable guest appearance as Camilla Bowner in this comedic series led by Lisa Kudrow, leaving an indelible mark with her remarkable talent
Also Read: Cate Blanchett Biography
Awards And Honors:
- Academy Awards for Best Actress In Leading Role (2012, 1983)
- Academy Awards for Best Actress In Supporting Role (1980)
- ‘Honorary Cesar (1980)
- BAFTA Award for Best Actress in Leading Role (2012, 1982)
- Kennedy Center Honors (2011)
- Golden Globe Awards for Best Supporting Actress (1980 2003)
- Golden Globe Awards for Best Leading Actor (2010, 2007)
- MTV Movie & TV Award For Best Villain (2015)
- AFI Life Achievement Award (2004)
- Obie Award For Performance (1981)
- David di Donatello for Best Foreign Actress (1985, 1986)
- Silver Bear For Best Actress (2003)
- AACTA Award For Best Lead Actress in Movie (1989)
- National Board Of Review Award for Best Cast (2008)
Meryl Streep, one of the world’s most successful and respected actresses, has built an impressive net worth of $190 million through her illustrious career. As one of the highest-paid actresses in Hollywood, she has consistently commanded substantial salaries for her performances. Over her 50-year career, Meryl Streep has delivered remarkable acting abilities, earning her numerous accolades and widespread acclaim. Her net worth reflects both her immense talent and the recognition she has received in the industry. With a diverse range of roles and critically acclaimed performances, Meryl Streep has solidified her status as a Hollywood icon, and her financial success is a testament to her exceptional talent and hard work.